Sunday, April 27, 2008

my little boy

he assures me that he is not my baby boy. he is not yet a big boy either. instead, he says, he is my little boy. and he totally has me wrapped around his little finger.

oh, how he melts me on a daily basis. he starts each morning by running down the hall, throwing his arms around my neck, his legs around my waist and giving me the longest, best bear hug ever. and i love that he'll just sit with me for the longest time. i could snuggle with him all day long.

oh, but is he ever ornery. and he knows it too. he will get the goofiest grin on his face when he knows that he's being naughty. he tries to charm his way out of trouble. and sometimes, i do give in to him. it is so bad, i know. but how can i help it? when he gives me that grin. sigh. that's it. it's over. stick a fork in me. mama is done.

he won't let me sing my "song" for him anymore. when he was a baby, i would sing "baby mine" to him when i rocked him to sleep. but no more. now, i either sing "yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me" or "the pirates who don't do anything" to him. and he grins that silly, sweet grin while he bounces and sings along.

he can work on puzzles for hours. he is quite quick at it too. one morning, he had half of a 70-piece puzzle completed (he'd worked on it with daddy). i took a shower. and in that time, he finished the puzzle all by himself. i was amazed. his other loves are cars and dinosaurs. and bugs. of course. always bugs. he drove his train over a caterpillar yesterday. poor critter. the caterpillar made it, a little worse for wear. and i allowed him to escape to our back yard to avoid future meetings with some wheeled vehicle.

but what a total love. he is such a happy little boy. he is such a loving, affectionate doll. my little boy. my little love. he'll always be my baby boy. just don't tell him so.


No comments: